Monday, February 2, 2009

Our Hot Date

I so enjoyed our date!
We left Nathan at my sister's where there was supposed to be a party going on for my Grandma's birthday. (Due to some cow birthing drama, my parents and grandparents were running about two hours behind.) He had a meltdown after they left, but got better and better as the night went on.
The AGC 20th Anniversary for the plant was at the Sheraton - can you say hoity toity? We turned into the wrong entrance, so went all the way around the building before getting to the right place. We pulled up and were told that the free parking was on the west side. After two rounds around the parking lot, we realized it was completely full. The back parking lot had some spaces, but I informed Paul that I wore heels that were too small, and I was NOT walking that far. So we scrounged and came up with the $9 for valet parking.
They had a buffet - the beef and chicken I felt left a lot to be desired, but the rest of the food was amazing. Especially the desserts. And the coffee. (Don't tell, but it was Starbucks and I actually enjoyed it.)
They had a live band after the little awards ceremony (retirements, perfect attendance, 5, 10, and 20 year employee anniversarys). The songs were fun and the band was great, but the lead guy just needed to shut up and not try to tell jokes between songs. I'm pretty sure they were plastered before they even came on stage - at least the lead. He played the keyboards with one hand and was holding a beer bottle in the other. Klassy.
Even though we made fun of the drunk people making fools of themselves on the dance floor, I really wanted to get out there and dance. I've never danced at a party before - in fact, I believe the only time Paul and I have danced was out on our deck shortly after we moved in. But I told Paul that we were going to learn, and next party - we would be dancing.
He didn't flat out say no. So I'll take that as a yes, he's willing.
My feet were killing me from being crammed into those shoes all night, but darn it, I felt like I was lookin' good. Paul introduced me to all of the guys on his shift (that were there) and his supervisors. I don't remember any of them's names - I know Doug and Carla, who I'd met before; Kenny and Dionne I can remember, and Dan and Kathy. Too many names! I did get lots of thanks for the snacks I've made for his shift - from the guys on his shift and even a few on the opposite shift!
And the clincher of the night - Paul won a $250 gift card to Best Buy. He was the next to last person to win a door prize. He chose one of the two envelopes left and as he passed the supervisor for A shift, he said, "You're winning the next one."
Joe did win the next one - he went up to claim the winning envelope, the one Paul hadn't chosen.... Joe opened it to find that he'd won an AGC lawn chair! (That was the joke of the night, there was all of these big prizes - a tv, a trip, and gift cards - most over $100 - and then there were like 5 of these "sports chairs" thrown in.) He and Paul gave each other a hard time about that.
Side note: Paul got a bunch of overtime on his paycheck at the beginning of January, so he really wanted to go buy a new TV. I knew they were giving one away at this party, so I convinced him to wait for a month. But then I felt bad for telling him no, because he's wanted one for so long, and we did finally have the money, so I told him we'd go buy one. And when we get to the party, he may not have won the TV, but what else are we going to use a Best Buy card for?? Figures.
I laughed when we left, and the valet pulled the truck up to the front door. The truck was so dirty! A definite contrast to the sparkling BMW's and town cars. We got home about midnight and went to bed. I woke up a little after 7 (before my alarm) and was at loose ends.... No Nathan to feed and get ready for church! I practiced the song set and took my time getting ready.
Mom said Nathan did GREAT at their house. After he drank his milk, he walked over to the crib and held his hands up to get in. He woke up at 5:30 and cried but went right back to sleep after Mom gave him his milk. He did, however, throw up in the car on the way to church for some mystery reason. It was probably a cough and gag, like he'd done earlier last week.
But if overnighters are always going to be that easy, we might do them more often!

As a side note, because this will probably amuse you:
I got to church before practice and noticed the bulletins weren't out. I know one lady that sometimes runs them will sometimes do them on Sunday mornings, so I figured she was just downstairs folding them.
After we got done with practice, Pastor asked me, "Did you get the bulletin copied?"
I said, "It's not my month."
He said, "You're doing it in February, right?"
"It's the 31st of January."
"It's the 1st."
Ooooh.
So Sunday school hour found me and Christina copying off the bulletin. Pastor was kind and started up his computer and printed it off in his office for me, making him 15 minutes late for his Sunday school class. It wasn't as polished looking as I like to do myself (with text boxes and fonts), but that way I didn't have to go home.
I was so embarassed. I've spaced it until Saturday night before, but I've never completely forgotten it was my turn. He even emailed me the bulletin on Thursday, and I was like, "Oh he just wants me to see how the order of the service will go."
Oh well.
But I won't forget this week!

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

Glad you had fun...hey have Paul give Doug directions to the party...he cannot remember for sure where to go for our turn.....
Mom R