Thursday, September 25, 2008

Evening Walks

In two weeks, we're going to Colorado for a vacation/family reunion to see Paul's grandparents. We like going hiking in the mountains while we're out there, but that's kind of hard to do with a toddler. We decided to get a backpack carrier when I sold my electric stove. It only took us three months to get around to putting an ad in the paper, but we got it sold! So we bought Nathan's big-boy carseat (a front-facer) and used the rest of the money to buy the carrier (and a birthday present). Wal-Mart, Target, and the usual places didn't have such a thing, so we looked online.
TWO HUNDRED BUCKS!?!?!?!
So we looked on EBay, and found the exact same thing, just last year's model (different colors). The bidding ended in just a few minutes, so we hurried up and bid on it.
Our cost: $43. And that includes the shipping.
All that leading up to the reason for my post: My evening walks.
I figured that if I am going to hike in the mountains, I should at least be conditioned to walk in the flatlands. So I've been taking Nathan on walks every evening that Paul's at work - either right before he gets home, or right after he leaves for nights.
Well tonight, I reached my halfway point (the corner 3/4 mile away) and turned around to head back. The dog's trailing along beside me, sniffing out the ditches, when I hear a "Reeeoowww! Hiss! Hiss!" coming from a cedar tree. I go to investigate, and I find a white and stripey kitten. He immediately climbs out the branch toward me, and before I know it he's in my arms.
I carried him and/or he walked along beside me over a half mile back to the house. I kicked Brutus out and brought the kitten inside to make sure he got some food, and Nathan immediately started following him all over the house.
I know, the sight of Nathan hugging on him really makes me want to keep him. But then I remember.... Brutus was once small and loveable.
So if you want to take this cute, friendly little guy home with you, just let me know. I'd love to not have to kick him outside.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

PS - And he's freshly bathed!
I was giving Nathan a bath, and the kitten was prowling around the bathroom. Nathan crawled out after him, so I scooped up the kitten and gave him a bath, too - flea shampoo and everything!

Anonymous said...

did you use flea shampoo on the kid too?

Anonymous said...

Lucy saw these pictures and said "Awww, the little boy hug the cat!"

It was almost as cute as that picture. Almost.

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

SO keep the kitty.. All little boys need one to grow up with.
Grandma

carrie said...

no way Jose. I've already got one cat trying to get in all the time!

but he's cute!

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

PS That kitten looks a lot like one that disappeared from around here---but we did NOT bring it over--at least not on purpose. Cats have taken rides in cars before... but his would have been a month or 2 ago. HMMMMM
Grandma

Lavonda Pflug said...

Oh Janice, You are too clever. What a great way to give a kitten a new home! LOL Grandkids love ya and who cares what your kids think? LOL
Rachel, ya can't get rid of it now! It and Nathan are so CUTE together! ;)

Anonymous said...

Cats = gross.
And I have to disagree with Janice here - boys don't need cats...they need dogs.

samthearcher said...

Sounds like you got yourself a free meal in a few months........ Anybody up for fried cat? ;)