Wednesday, July 27, 2011

So Is He Potty Trained?

So I know you remember me talking about Jacob wanting to potty train. That started at 18 months, and he's 21 months now.
So how's it going?
Good. Really good, considering his age.
We still have lots of accidents - one a day, usually. Sometimes I get frustrated that he still has accidents, but then I remember - he's not even two yet! I wouldn't call him potty "trained" but he's definitely potty "aware" - he may not always make it to the toilet, or remember to go there, but he always comes and gets me if he has an accident. And he's only pooped in his pants maybe 4 or 5 times in the three months since we started this (a huge deal!). I may be the one that reminds him to go to the bathroom (some would say I am the one who's trained), but you know what - I don't care. He holds it until I ask him if he needs to go.
Sometimes it seems like we're cloth diapering using underpants, but that doesn't really bother me. It's less diapers for us, and it's helping him "get" potty training. And add in that I've started putting him in cloth diapers during naptime - serious money saved. He's been wearing underpants for a couple months now, even when we go to town. We just make sure to take him right before we leave, and at least once while we're in town.
Yesterday, he had zero accidents, and came and got me to go to the potty every time. For a child who doesn't talk, that's a major accomplishment, I think.
So he's not fully trained, but definitely on his way.
(Yes, I am proud of my son. I am bragging.)

No comments: