Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gaaah! Gall Bladder!

Last night I had what I am convinced was a gall bladder attack. I am really starting to doubt the capabilities of my gut.
I ate donuts and decaf coffee for supper (don't judge!) after the boys were in bed, took a shower, and when I got out of the shower just before 9, all the sudden my stomach felt really upset. I spent the next hour on the couch, watching Glee (again - don't judge!) and intermittently leaning over the barf bucket, sure it was about to come up. I finally gave up and went to bed, and spent the next 3 hours in severe pain, unable to sleep, and unable to get comfotable.
Sometime after 1:30, I got up to internet diagnose myself. Based on what it felt like and how I'd eaten the last two days, I suspected my gall bladder. I looked up symptoms and it sounded just like what I was experiencing.
Then - wonder of all wonders - sitting up seemed to cure me. The pain subsided to a level where at least I could sleep. (Which I read could happen if gall stones are the culprit - moving around moves them around, too.)
The boys woke me up at 7, and I got up with them. But this time, sitting up seemed to be a bad thing to do, and the pain came back. Not nearly as severe, but more than I cared to experience. I'd read about a home remedy - 1 cup of apple juice, with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I had Paul pick up some apple juice on the way home from work, and I tried it.
It did seem to work. But I was exhausted. Paul had his mom come and get the boys and take them to church so I could get some rest.
I feel much better tonight. Still tired, and a bit dehydrated, but hopefully it's past.

And like any mom, and prairie wife.... I was out in the garden tonight, pulling weeds, picking peas, and taking the boys on a walk. There's no such thing as a sick day when you're a mommy!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

If you decide to have the gall bladder checked out don't let Dr. S have you get a cat scan just ask for the ultrasound...I learned that the hard way. The cat scan showed nothing the ultrasound showed it right away. I had mine out when Dalton was 3 months old.