Monday, January 17, 2011

Home Remedy That Worked!

(And it's disgusting!)
I mentioned in the last post I'd tried a bunch of home remedies that hadn't done anything for my cold. When I mentioned to Nicki, the other leader at Cubbies, that nothing was kicking my cough, she told me she had found a recipe with honey and ginger that her husband had taken the night before, and it worked for him. So when I got home, I Google-d it, and found this recipe:
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. water
I mixed them up, using boiling water to help dissolve everything. The web page said to take it by the teaspoon, so of course, I took a tablespoon. (I figured, with these ingredients, the worst that would happen would be that I would puke.) Then after a peaceful, hacking-free movie, I took another tablespoon and went to bed.
I'm not saying I didn't cough at all. I still coughed a bit. But not the hacking and gasping episodes like before, and the coughs actually started to be "productive."
Don't get me wrong. This stuff is NASTY. Don't smell it. Don't sip it. Toss it like a shot. (Not that I've ever taken shots before.) But I will keep the recipe on hand for the future.... I'm not sure that I'd take it at the first hint of a cough, but when I get these coughs that won't go away, you'd better believe I'll use it again.
The web page I got it from tells why all the ingredients work. Also, if you do try it, you'll need to shake it before each dosing, as obviously the cayenne and ginger will settle.

2 comments:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

so glad you found something. Why do the best remedies have to be so nasty?????? I did not have the break your ribs coughing. I STILL have sinus drainage though.......

Tricia said...

I will have to try it! Alas...I have been plagued with a bad cough for a few weeks now. And since I'm pregnant, there is very little I can take for it!