Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Immunizations

I'd like to start off by stating that I am not anti-immunization. I think that immunizations are great and have done wonderful things for the health of society world wide. Also, I have nothing against you if you have decided for your child to get all of their recommended immunizations at the recommended times.
What got me thinking about this was when I went to the hospital to fill out my pre-admission paperwork (a bajillion questions about your health history). They asked me if I wanted to have my baby immunized for Hepatitis B at birth. I read over the information sheet, and I wonder why the heck they recommend newly-born babies be immunized for this desease! Basically the only way you can contract it is through sex or sharing needles with someone who is infected. It does mention that a baby can be infected by "contact with a mother's blood or body fluids at time of birth." So that makes sense..... Or not. Because by the time the baby has been birthed and is able to receive the shot, they've already been exposed. And someone is not considered fully protected until they've had the entire series of shots (3 months later). Paul phrased it as, "There's no need for it when they're just out of the chute." (Lovely imagery.)
Nathan has been immunized for Hepatitis B (only because he could get it in the same shot as another - when he was 3 months old), Polio, Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. And he didn't get immunized for any of those when he was "supposed" to. I refused to let him get more than one shot at a time.
I consider the ones he's been immunized for the "dangerous" diseases. And maybe not all of them (like Measles, Mumps and Rubella are all together in one shot) are dangerous, but I wanted him protected against mumps (can cause sterilization in males), so he got the MMR shot. Polio can cause permanent damage to nerves/paralysis. Pertussis (whooping cough) can be deadly in a short amount of time. These are what I wanted Nathan protected against, so these are all I've had him protected against.
The flu vaccine is recommended, and so is a chicken pox vaccine. Whereas I wouldn't enjoy it if Nathan contracted one of these illnesses, the likelihood that he'd die from it are very slim. I read that when given statistics of how many children die from things like these, they don't take into account what type of living situations they are coming from (such as druggie parents, who neglect their children). Also a lot of the things we're immunizing children against are not a big deal if you just pay attention to your child and take care of them when they're sick. The recommended vaccines Nathan will probably get when he's older, I just saw no reason for him to recieve them when he's not going to be exposed to them. (Although the flu shot he will probably never recieve - that's a whole 'nother rant!)
Some moms have told me, "Well, I just don't have the time to research it." It took me all of a couple hours one afternoon to research ALL of the vaccines. I had a sheet that listed the routine immunizations, and I opened the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) government website, and a "responsibility in immunizations" website, and then Googled the disease to see what it was. I jotted down notes and made my decisions from there.
Part of it also is pity for my child - if I followed the schedule, they are to recieve something like 20 shots by the time they're a year old. I just couldn't do that to my baby. I also don't think that they're little developing bodies need the added stress of dealing with an antibody.
And I'm not anti-medicine. I take Nathan to the doctor when he's sick - if he's REALLY sick. I don't take him for every cough or sniffle. I see nothing wrong with doctors, but I think medicating our children (and ourselves) for every little thing can actually cause more harm than good. (And as an aside, I don't medicate with homeopathic remedies either.)
Anyhow.
That's my rambling rant and thoughts on immunizations.

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

glad you are thinking.... and choosing wisely. You are right, too much too soon is NOT good. By the way, look for re-vaccs about 6th grade....