Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Step

We took the first step towards getting ready for New Baby.... I brought down the infant car seat and took it apart and washed it and wiped it all down. (I'm going to actually need it while babysitting a friend's daughter next week, is why so early.) I really need to do that to Nathan's current car seat as well.
The car seat was SICK. I didn't realize how much Nathan apparently had spit up in it until I took the cover pad off.... Gross. But I sprayed it down to loosen up any crusties, then put it through the washer, meanwhile washing out the base. It came out looking like new, for the most part - except for some sun fading of the dark fabric. I adjusted the straps to the lower setting - I can't believe how small babies are!
Next step is tomorrow - Mom is coming over after work and we're mopping and wiping down the baby's room. I'm not sure it's ever been mopped up there, at least since we bought the house. We're working on getting rid of the "guest room" paraphernalia.... My brother took the queen size bed. My sister is going to take the antique mirrored dresser (which I love in that room, but it's definitely not kid friendly). My hope chest is going to have to stay up there for a little while longer, though. Then we have the pain-in-the-patoot job of disassembling the crib in order to move it 10 feet across the hall. Grr. But it won't fit through the doorways.
I don't know what I'm going to do when there's actually a baby in that room.... Nathan has taken up going exploring after he wakes up in the morning. Often he won't say anything, I just hear his little feet pattering across the floor of the baby's room (which is right above Paul and I's bedroom). He likes the mobile and the baby tub that are up there. Not only can he now open the bedroom doors, but he knows he can go through the shared closet/attic between the two rooms. The other day at naptime, I heard him pattering around, and walked up the stairs to get on to him. I opened the baby's room door, and he wasn't in there, but the attic door was open just a sliver. I walked over to it and found Nathan hiding inside. You can't tell me that at this age they don't know right from wrong, and know when they've done wrong!
And in other news: a friend, a relative, and a neighbor are all having girls. Does this up our chance for a boy? I don't know. I usually think we're having a boy, but then I'll have a random day where I have a really strong feeling it's a girl. Like I told you: anticipation is a weakness in me. I don't deal well with it.
Enough procrastinating. I have GOT to clean some house.

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

When the baby is in that room, Nathan will go in and they will play. With any luck, they will play a long time before you know they are awake..... At least Nathan hasn't come downstairs and tried to pour himself some milk......yet!!!!!!!
Mom R