Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Jekyll and Hyde Feet

So you've heard me griping about the varicose veins in my foot. I thought I'd take some pictures today and show you that I believe I am fully justified in my griping.
And today they actually look good! I wore socks all morning (which helps by keeping some pressure on them), and I was sitting down when I took the pic. I thought they looked bad last pregnancy..... I did have worse swelling last time (but maybe I haven't gotten to that point yet). Every pregnant woman I know has a varicose vein. Or a couple. Not an entire varicose FOOT.
I think what makes it even more frustrating is that the other foot looks so good! (Not that I'm delusional about my size-12 feet being cute or attractive in any way.) And what you may not be able to see is that the veins go part way up my shin. Then I have some just below my knee on the inside of my leg, and from my knee halfway up the back of my thigh. Only on my right side.
I feel like I've got one leg that's a normal 27-year-old's, and one leg that's my 75-year-old grandma's.
My doctor keeps telling me I'll have to get them lasered to get them fixed. Do you know how much that costs?? At what point do they get so bad that it is no longer a "cosmetic surgery" and insurance will cover it?
I've read that taking fish oil caplets helps. But in my research, I'm a little scared to take them, because they can't guarantee the purity of the fish used - where they were caught, what kind they were, etc. (It's more dangerous for pregnant women to eat certain types/amounts of fish because of mercury.)
So until I'm not pregnant anymore, it looks like my options are socks.
And griping.

6 comments:

The Other Rachel said...

OK I NO LONGER feel like complaining about my stretch marks. Wow, I got off easy. :-/

The randomness that is my life said...

The hideousness of thise feet will haunt my dreams for years

Brooke said...

Rachel- saw a special on Good Morning America this morning (Sept. 3)on a new (fast painless) treatment for varicose veins. It's done with local anesthesia in the doctor's office, and some insurance plans cover it if the doctor recommends it because the pain is hindering the patient's ability to walk, exercise, etc.

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same issue, same troublesome foot. My daughter is due in 3the weeks and essentially this entire pregnancy has been a pain in that foot, lol.. only. Did baby 3 cause the same pain?

Rachel said...

Baby 3.... And 4. I started wearing compression stockings at about 6 months with Baby #3 (month #1 with our fourth), and that helps the pain immensely. They still have gotten worse during the pregnancy. I was scheduled to get them fixed after our 3rd child, but we got surprised by this pregnancy!

Rachel said...

And I might add that they look SO MUCH worse now, 4 years later! I keep taking pictures, intending to post them before this baby comes....