Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cravings

Tonight we ate outside and enjoyed the PERFECT weather (70s, just a hint of a breeze) while we watched the sunset. I couldn't have asked for a better evening.
Which brings me to this edition of: Rachel's Recipes. This is what we had for supper tonight. It's been a while since I've posted any recipes (or anything at all, for that matter), and these are some things I've been craving all week. Plus, they're super easy, and cheap.

Bruschetta
2-3 large tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil (or so)
1 tbsp basil (or so)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or so)
salt and pepper
If you peel and de-seed the tomatoes, it makes it a little better. I usually de-seed them (cut them in half horizontally, then poke your fingers into the holes to squish out the seeds and slimy stuff), but don't bother peeling them.
Chop the tomatoes into small pieces. Stir in other ingredients. Add more or less seasonings to suit your taste. (I never measure, I just shake stuff in 'til it looks good.)
You can either let it set an hour or two for the flavors to mingle, or what I do is blast in in the microwave for a minute (planning ahead is not my forte), which gets the juices flowing. Serve on toasted Italian bread (okay) or garlic bread (amazing).
This is the exact same ingredients as I use in fresh tomato spaghetti. Chop and mix the ingredients as above, then let set while you cook the pasta. Drain pasta, then dump it over the tomato mixture. The hot pasta quick-cooks the tomatoes. Add some grilled chicken for a tasty main dish. (Given Paul's aversion to "fowl" we always eat this vegetarian-style.)

Garlic Bread
1 loaf Italian bread
butter or margarine
Italian seasoning
We found a shaker/grinder (for $1!) that has all the seasonings together, but if you use them separately, Italian seasoning consists of some or all of the following: parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Use whatever suits you.
Cut the loaf in half lengthwise. Spread butter on each half and sprinkle seasoning liberally over butter.
When we have this, I usually put Paul in charge of it, and he tops it with either Parmesan cheese, or whatever shredded cheese we have in the fridge.
Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes, until butter is melted and the edges are toasty.
Top with bruschetta.

Southern Banana Dessert
"Nilla" cookies
banana pudding
2-3 bananas
Cool Whip
Layer cookies, then sliced bananas. Pour pudding over top, then spread Cool Whip over the top. Repeat the layers.
Not even joking, I dreamed about this twice this week. Talk about waking up with a craving! Which is weird, because I've only had it maybe twice ever. As soon as we got home from Colorado, I went to the store and bought the ingredients. Now I have an entire batch to eat by myself.

2 comments:

Amy Jo said...

This makes me so hungry. Yum.
We use the recipes you gave us at my wedding shower all the time...love them!

The Other Rachel said...

Definitely trying the bruschetta this week - thanks!