Thursday, April 30, 2009

To Kill a Mockingbird



The last two summers, we've had one of these lovely birds nesting in the huge cedar tree just south of our house.
In January, we had the tree cut down so it wouldn't fall on the house. I realized afterwards that the mockingbird wouldn't be able to roost in it come summer. And I was ECSTATIC!
To hear what a mockingbird sounds like, click here.
Now imagine that racket right outside your window - ALL NIGHT LONG.
I noticed the mockingbird was back this year. But since the cedar tree was gone, I had a smug sense of victory that I'd have no trouble getting to sleep on the nights we have the windows open.
Then I noticed the mockingbird - and it's mate - are building a nest in a bush not four feet outside of our living room window.
Figures.
Here's hoping Brutus puts on his best attack-cat front for the next few days and stalks them into deciding to build elsewhere.
(If you've ever seen the crazy roommate on Failure to Launch who hasn't slept because of the bird outside of her window.... I can totally relate.)

3 comments:

JC said...

I'm putting Failure to Launch on my Netflix now, just for you...

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

Yeah for the bird

Lavonda Pflug said...

I LOVE the mocking bird's song! Buy some ear plugs and thank God for the birds. They're song beats the roar of traffic on a freeway any day.