Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rainy Day Blah

So it's cold and rainy outside. Why does cold weather always have to be ushered in by rain? I would much prefer it if the crisp fall mornings just got brisker and brisker and one day we wake up and wonder how it became winter.
So in light of the rain, I am stuck inside. I should be reclaiming my house from the post-vacation disaster zone it currently is, but I just can't motivate myself to do it.
But I am being industrious! Paul and I picked two buckets full of cherry tomatoes last night. I decided to make tomato sauce out of them, thinking it would be so easy: Wash them, cook them, mash them - poof! Sauce.
Well, the washing took like an hour. Then the cooking another hour. Then the mashing, and now we're cooking it again to thicken it up. The result: A couple pints of sauce. Seriously. Was it even worth it it?
So I thought I'd give you an update on any randomness I could think of. The first thing that comes to my mind is - what else?
Nathan!
He's just over 13 months old now. Where has time gone? Am I forever going to be saying this? Will I look back at my kids' weddings and say "It just seems like yesterday..."
I'm happy to say that Nathan is weaned. Despite my apprehensions, it wasn't as hard as I had assumed it would be. Over two or three weeks, we went to just nursing at naptime and bedtime (yes, it was a get-him-to-go-to-sleep crutch), to nursing only at bedtime, to nursing only in the middle of the night, to no nursing at all! Each step only took about 3 days, and then he didn't even try to nurse! Even when we were in the emergency room, he never acted interested, even though he'd only been completely weaned just a few days.
Even though I totally enjoyed nursing, I totally was ready to be done - not necessarily because I "wanted my body back" but because I had had a year of me being the only one able to get up in the middle of the night to put him back to bed. The lack of sleep got to me finally.
I still am the one to get up the majority of the time... When Paul is working, I don't make him get up - even though I was THISCLOSE to making him anyways this weekend (after the third time up in a span of a couple hours). And I still wake up even if Paul is the one to go upstairs (half the time because Paul doesn't wake up to the sound of crying - I usually have to elbow him to get him to wake up). But not having to actually get out of bed is so nice.
We've been experiencing some sleepless nights lately. Nathan will go to sleep at his usual time with no problem, but will wake up between 2 and 4 AM and be up for anywhere from a half hour to two hours. I know it's the teeth, and if I give him some Tylenol or ibuprofin, he sleeps a lot better, but I don't like doing that - I feel like I'm drugging my son to convenience myself. If I can tell he's miserable, I'll give him some, but I don't dose him "just in case."
But when he actually lets me look in his mouth, it just looks so painful! His gums are all swollen where the molars are coming in. The second one on bottom finally broke through, and I think he's feeling better. I don't know how close we are to getting the molars on top yet - he really resists me poking around in his mouth.
What else? .... He's running, kind of, now. He throws his head back and runs, but then falls flat - because he throws his head back. I guess he doesn that because it's so fun, but it's really messing up his coordination. But he always gets up with a big smile on his face, so I guess it's okay.
He's also really getting into playing games like tag and peekaboo. I live for his giggles - they just make me feel all googly inside. Do any of you other moms just get overwhelmed by how cute your kids are?
For the second year, our garden was not what I hoped it would be. I don't know what we did or didn't do, but we haven't had beans or peas worth a hoot. Granted, we had some weird weather, but still.... Frustrating. We have plans to keep the @#%&* dog from stealing all the corn next year (he probably ate half of the crop this year), so hopefully that will help. It's not a whole lot of money (even though our August water bill is usually 2 or 3 times normal) - it's just putting so much time into it, and so far, not getting much of a return.
I weeded the flower bed at the back of our house for the first time since before I got pregnant with Nathan - which was almost two years ago. It was a mess, but I really had no motivation, since no one sees that bed except me when I'm hanging clothes on the line. I mean, you can see it from the road, but we're not close enough to see that it was chock full of grass. I didn't do a great job, but I was just going for getting the majority of the bulk (and seed heads!) out.
Paul is enjoying his supervisor job. He's been in that position for almost 4 months now, and I really haven't heard him complain. He's had days where all sorts of stuff goes wrong, but doesn't come home angry - he's always been really good about leaving work at work. I'm proud of him, because he mentioned one day when things were crazy that he had been working on the line, packing the glass - which isn't his "job" as a supervisor (it's what his old position was). But I told him that doing that speaks volumes about his character to his shift - that he's not "lording it over" them, that he's not above doing "real work". I still haven't met hardly anyone on his shift, which I regret. His old shift, Paul and I played paintball 2 or 3 times with about ten of them, so whenever I'd meet him at work, there was always someone who knew who I was and would chat with me. I have been totally spoiling them, though, and making home-made goodies for the whole crew whenever they work days on a weekend (at Paul's request). Paul said this last weekend, the cookies I made were completely gone by 9 AM - all he got were crumbs.
Nathan has an eye doctor appointment tomorrow. He has a lazy eye, which I've noticed for a while, but was hoping it was just a "baby thing" that he'd outgrow. No such luck. They called to confirm the appointment, and told me to come 15 minutes early to fill out all the paperwork, and expect to be there a couple hours. They're going to dialate his eyes. I'm not excited about that, or about the procedures they'll have to do to get it to be "un-lazy", but I just want to get started on the process, and get it fixed, so hopefully he won't have to wear glasses all his life.
Anyhow. Is this long enough yet? I'm just rambling. I used to keep a journal, but haven't really since I got married. I think blogging has kind of taken it's place. I really need to get all my entries saved and/or printed out. And yes - I still journal sometimes. There are a FEW things I don't think need to be shared on the internet. :)

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

I love reading your online journal. You should invent a way to print and bind all your entries for your grandkids.... They would love it. And I love the pictures of Colroado. Doug and I plan to return to Colorado Springs some day...after all that is where we met..
Mom R