Monday, October 27, 2008

Eye Doctor Visit

So I thought I'd update you all on the visit we had with the eye doctor last week. In between cleaning up poop from the boy I babysit. I was in the bathroom myself, when the three year old pushes the door open and comes in with nothing on from the waist down. I ask him if he needs to go potty. "Nope." I sit him on the toilet anyways. Two seconds later I walk out to find his underwear, wet with a little turd in them. I dumped the turd out, and made him put the underpants anyways (the wet spot wasn't very big), so he could feel how gross it is to go potty in his underwear. Not 10 minutes later, the phone rang, and Dallas ran to ask me, "Who is it? Who is it?" Again with no underwear. So I went into the dining room and found the underwear on the table, with poop smears on them..... But no poop. I could smell it. Poop smears on the floor.... But no poop. Then I found it.... He had picked the turd up and dropped it over the baby gate onto the stairs. I made him pick it up with a napkin, then clean the floor up with a baby wipe. What else can you do to make him realize how nasty this habit is???? It's obvious he knows he's not supposed to do it in his pants, or else he wouldn't try to hide it.
I think his parents are like, "Just wait 'til you have kids, then you'll realize it's not so easy." And maybe it's true, but..... Still..... Gross.
That was NOT what this post was about.
I get distracted.
We went to the eye doctor last week. They told me to plan on being there a couple hours, but it ended up being just over an hour. They dialated his eyes and the doctor looked into them, made him watch his light go back and forth - several times - then told me his prognosis. He said Nathan has what is called Duane's syndrome. The doctor explained it as the nerve that controls one of the muscles in his left eye never developed in the womb. His vision is fine, but the muscle that makes the left eye look left doesn't work. He said Nathan will (and already does) compensate for this by turning his head a little further to the left when he looks that direction. He said Nathan would not be allowed to be a Navy pilot, but other than that will have no problems or restrictions on what he can do.
Whereas I'm a little sad that he has this small problem, I am SO relieved that we don't have to do glasses. He fights anything being on his head or face, so I was not looking forward to that battle.
Anyways. Back to the current battle - keeping Dallas poop-free for another hour and a half.

2 comments:

carrie said...

that's a relief about the glasses. With all that poop drama, the last thing you need is glasses on a baby drama.

Anonymous said...

Dude. That is SICK. How do you refrain from beating him??????


Carl