Friday, June 20, 2008

We were too lazy to go get the pot of gold.


After yesterday evening's "severe" thunderstorm, I noticed sunlight streaming into our west windows. Since I could still hear rain on the roof, I peeked outside of our east windows to see if there happened to be a rainbow.
And this is what I saw.





Obviously, the photos overlap a bit, but that gives you an idea of the scope of this wonder. And you can't see it in these photographs, but it was a fully double rainbow.
One end of it was in our neighbor's pasture.
The other end was next to the silo at the house around the corner.
Seeing so clearly "the end of the rainbow" made me want to embrace the kid in me, and go chasing the end of that rainbow, to see if there really might be a leprechaun and a pot of gold.
It really was a beautiful evening. It continued to sprinkle while we pranced around taking photos. The sunlight on the raindrops was almost magical. Especially from the south side of the house where we could take it all in without getting wet.

Paul got this great shot of the yucca plant blooming in our front yard. I curse them every time I mow, but they really are kind of pretty when they're in bloom.

Maybe my benevolent attitude toward the rain - which we don't need any more of! - is due to the fact that for the first time in a month, we were able to get in the garden. Carrie and I got all the corn weeded on Wednesday, and Paul got the whole thing tilled yesterday. Now I have a better feeling about it being able to dry out and that we may be gaining ground in our fight against the weeds.

1 comment:

carrie said...

YES! I saw one of those rainbows on my way to work last night. It almost put me in a good mood. Ok, it did put me in a good mood, for a little while anyway.

And you've reminded me that I also took some pics of the sunshine rain. I hope they turned out.

And you also reminded me that the yucca plant is still in the back of the van. Oops!