- Turning 30. My birthday was the 22nd. Paul surprised me the day before with a trip to the Wichita Zoo. It was a perfect day (in a string of overwhelming heat). We loaded up the van - literally. We tried out the 8-passenger seating (our family of 5, plus Paul's parents and sister), and it wasn't bad for a 2+ hour trip. He further surprised me by taking the day of my actual birthday off work. We went to see my niece play softball and had dinner and cake and homemade ice cream (!!!) at my sister's house.
- Garden. I don't know how, with the extreme heat and almost complete lack of rain (less than an inch all month), but this is the best garden we've ever had. Maybe because we've been able to control exactly how much and when the garden gets watered..... It seems like we'd get a complete deluge of several inches of rain in an hour, or a wind storm, or hail sometime in the spring or early summer to destroy my garden. But we obviously haven't had any of that.
|Green bean totals. Nearly 40 quarts of corn frozen as well.|
- Grilling! I told Paul last Monday, after watching the weather forecast - 100, 101, 98, 99, 100, 103 - I was not going to be using the oven or the stove at all last week. And I didn't (and still haven't), except for breakfast a few mornings. We have had some definite food WINS.
|Grilled Pizza! This is the "kids' pizza" (pepperoni and cheese).|
|My pizza, with decidedly more toppings.|
|Vegetable Medley: Potatoes, carrots, zucchini (all from my or my in-laws' garden) with butter, salt, pepper, and paprika. YUM. (Would have been even better had I not forgotten the onions!)|
|Smoked Bread. Oh my goodness......|
- Hibernating. (It's not just for cold weather.) It's been near or exceeding 100 degrees for the last week, with it forecasting to be more of the same for at least the next 8 days. (There is no outlook for rain for at least 2 weeks.) Obviously it's too hot to take Zadie outside, at least until near sundown, and even then, she has to stay in the shade. The boys want so badly to play outside, but they come in after 5 minutes, "Mommy, it's too hot."
|Ugh. It's bad when a big cooldown means temps in the low 90s. And the rain "chance" is just to tease us.|
- Sleeping. The heat is just completely taking it out of me. I feel like I'm doing the bare minimum to get by until I can sleep again. I'm finally finding the house under the mess, but that's only because we're having company tomorrow for Independence Day. We haven't done school for a week, though. But Paul has vacation next week, so maybe we'll get caught up then......