Monday, June 2, 2008

What a Sunday!

Nathan is right at 8 1/2 months, and yesterday, for the first time since he was born, he stayed upstairs for the whole church service. He fell asleep against Paul's chest while we had praise and worship, and stayed completely cashed out the entire sermon and communion, then woke up after the final hymn.
Now, we have a nursery at church. And I put him in there almost every week - I try to get him at least through announcements before we go down. But when he's down there and I'm upstairs, I'm always wondering if he's pitching a fit and can't get calmed down. He's kind of a momma's boy when he's upset. And he never takes his morning nap when we're at church, so he's always on the verge of crankiness. And then add to that that sometimes there's 10 kids down there and only two workers, and if one of the workers is 80 years old.....
I'd like my kids to know how to sit still for church. They can be in the nursery through age three, then at age four they can start going to children's church. So if you do that, then they're 10 years old and have never had to sit and be quiet for a church service.
I know it's weird, but that's just me.
Yesterday when Nathan was asleep, he kind of fidgited and leaned over and then rolled onto his belly. So he ended up stretched across Paul's lap with one cheek on his pocket. It was so cute.
We skipped out on the fellowship dinner for the first time ever, I think. We didn't have to, it's just we were having company for supper, and I wanted a nap. Didn't get it, but at least I had the option. I did lay down with Nathan for maybe 45 minutes.
We had my friend Carrie and her husband Charlie and their kids out for supper. I was an hour later having supper ready than I said I'd be (as usual for company - Paul and I usually have one or two-dish meals, so cooking a full meal - let alone a meal for 8 - I always misjudge my timing). But it was good times - they've gone to our church for two or three years now, and we're just finally getting to know them. I'm so bad at things like that.
Nathan is teething. He got a new tooth on bottom (his third) last week, and I think the other top tooth broke through just yesterday. That makes for extra crankiness, plus a fever last night.
Well, the babysitting boys just got here, so I should probably pay attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want my little one to learn to sit through church too, but I'm not sure it'll happen. The kids who ARE in church can be a little disruptive--running up and down the aisles, talking, etc. all while the service is going on... and no one minds. Really. I've never heard a single complaint--everyone pretty much thinks it's great.

This is largely the result of a HUGE population of 2-4 year olds and younger. They're in the nursery/preschool chapel for most of the service but come in for the last bit, and everyone likes it that way, especially (what you wouldn't expect) the pastors!

It cracks me up because in some ways ours is a VERY formal service (the priests wear fancy vestments that match the altar cloths, there's lots of music and insence, etc.) but at the same time it's not at all uptight. It pretty much rocks. But learning to sit through church? It might not happen.

--The other Rachel