Monday, August 9, 2010

Desperation No-Bakes

I had to make cookies for a church social yesterday. Well, I didn't have to, but I wanted to take something to an ice cream social, and we don't have an ice cream maker, and the sign up sheet said cookies or ice cream. I didn't have the energy to make "real" cookies, not to mention I didn't want to heat up the house (just baking a 45-minute casserole will raise the temperature in the house 2 degrees, and the a/c will run and run and not be able to catch up - I'm trying to be cheap.... Even keeping the thermostat at 78, our bill is still higher than it has ever been!).
Anyhow. So I decided to make no-bake cookies. You know, those deliciously simple chocolatey, peanut-buttery, lumpy globs of yumminess. I know there's lots of slightly different versions, but my recipe calls for 1/2 c of cocoa, 1 c milk, 4 c of sugar, and 2 sticks of butter. Add peanut butter - I didn't measure, but it had to be nearly a cup (the recipe called for 1/2 cup), then add 6 cups of oatmeal. Well, I pulled out the oatmeal, and realized I only had a cup. Oops. So out of desperation, I added crushed Chex cereal, and Cheerios.
They turned out just as good. The cookies are seriously ugly. I was in a hurry, because both the boys were throwing fits because they needed naps. (Why is it that everyone is totally happy and content until you get in the middle of a project that you can't quit in the middle of?) So I just kind of flung the mix into messy piles on the waxed paper.
But the important thing is, people ate them. They didn't eat as many as I'd hoped, because - seriously - who eats cookies when there are 8 types of homemade ice cream to sample? (Not to mention about a dozen other cakes and cookies.) But they'll freeze. And now I know that when I need to make a quick dessert for company (or bribery purposes), there's more than one way to skin a cat. (Seriously. Where did that phrase come from anyways???)

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

one more for MURPHY'S LAW: everyone is totally happy and content until you get in the middle of a project that you can't quit in the middle of...