Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nagging

I was talking to a friend this week about nagging our husbands, and it got me to thinking....
Why do we nag? Every wife does nag her husband - whether it's about helping out, their friends, the food they eat, their habits in general, or their spiritual life - we've all done it. Is it a result of The Fall? Possibly. In Genesis, God tells Eve (and by nature, all of us that followed) her "desire will be for her husband." Desire isn't lust in this verse, it's a desire to be in control. Is that why we nag?
I try not to nag Paul. He works hard at his job, and I'm at home - no outside job. So my job is to keep the house. I try to stay up on the housework and laundry and cooking and help out outside because he shouldn't have to do all that for me when he's been gone 14 or more hours every day this week. But there are a few certain things that I consider "his job" - and he would agree that I harp on him about getting them done when he's home. (And when I end up doing them myself, I let him hear about it - bad wife, I know.)
I have come to realize that some things will never change if it's me that forces the change. It has to be a desire of his to change. And the only thing I can do is pray for him.
So I've been praying for my husband this week. Praying for him at his job, and his spiritual walk (my two top requests). And really thanking God for him. I am so blessed. And I've found that in praying for someone - even if you think it's them that needs to change, you may come to realize that it is yourself that needs to change! And I know for myself, I need to develop a servant's heart.

I'm not writing this to say that Paul is a bad husband - he's a great husband - or to exalt myself as supremely spiritual (definitely not!).... I'm telling you what I realized for myself, in hopes that it might help your relationships, too.

Anyhow. That's what's rattling around in my head. I hope it makes sense to you, even if it's not the most eloquent entry.

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

A huge AMEN! The Lord has a lifetime work in me in the same areas...... I think every woman I know has the same desire to control..more obvious in some than others. Good insight in the Genesis verse. Most of us missed that for a long while...keep praying. I think the reason we are instructed to pray is so that we can get lined up with God's will............
Mom R