Wednesday, September 23, 2009

One Month Left!

I can't believe I'm saying this already. The summer has gone so fast! (Yet it does seem like forever since I was saying "three months to go!")
I think we've got everything ready for the baby. The room is cleaned and the furniture set up. We've already got the bassinet in our room. (It's got clothes draped over it and things stacked in it, but - hey - if it's not holding a baby, it should be holding something, right?) I've got my list for the hospital ready, and I'll start packing a bag in the next week or so. The only "major" thing I need to do is get out the box of 0-3 month "generic" (white, yellow, and green) baby clothes, and the baby blankets, and wash them. But I didn't want to do that too soon, and allow them to gather dust. (At the same time, I don't want to wait until the last minute and have nothing for Baby to wear!)
I've been having some "get down to business" contractions the last week or so. I've had more contractions in general this time, but these are different from the ones where you're like, "Ooh, my belly is hard." They are more like the in-labor contractions (except not as intense) where it starts at the top of your belly and goes all the way around into your pelvis. But they're not very painful, and definitely not regular, so it's probably nothing to be excited about.
We're trying to decide what to do if I don't go into labor on my own, if and when I should be induced. We both feel that my due date is off, and should actually be the orignal due date (the 12th of October, 10 days earlier). I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but we had to use "medical intervention" to get pregnant (as we did with Nathan - my hormones have always been out of whack). I had to take pills to make me ovulate, and after 5 days of pills, you're supposed to ovulate within 48 hours. So we kind of know exactly when we got pregnant, which is why we were very surprised that they moved the due date back 10 days at our first appointment. I guess as it gets closer, we'll talk to the doctor and get her opinion. With Nathan, I was pronounced "ready" (according to the doctor's examination) for three weeks, but it just wasn't happening. (Like I said - my hormones have always been out of whack, and apparently just needed a jump-start.)
I would be thrilled to start labor on my own, but I'm a bit nervous - Paul's work schedule is going to be crazy clear into October. He'll be working 12-hour shifts the first week of October (I hope at least it won't still be 7 days a week by then!). I'm worried I won't be able to get ahold of him at work, or that by the time I decide that yes, I really am in labor, that it won't give him enough time to get home (he has a 40-minute drive... although I'm pretty sure he would consider that a reason to speed [more than normal] and could make it faster).
Oh well. All this is speculation, and all I can do is wait, and be as ready as I can.
And on that note - I think I'll go clean house. :)

1 comment:

Doug or Janice Rhodes said...

I can give you the name of a person who recently shared with me that you definitely do NOT want to be induced. As for Paul not being there....last time the boss let him keep his cell phone on the floor with him. This time he is a supe ...should be no problem. I had no way of getting in touch with Doug. I waited on the front porch until he got home at 1 a.m. The Lord will work it out. And by the way, Paul told me to get my overnight bag packed in case you have to call me in the middle of the night to stay with Nathan!!