Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Killer Cold

It's been a long time since I've had a cold kick me this hard. In fact, it's been a long time since I've even had a full-blown cold - the last one was the week Jacob was born.
I started coming down with this one on Sunday, a week and a half ago. The hacking started last Tuesday, and it's still going full-force. I hack ALL. NIGHT. LONG. And this isn't just cough, cough - it wakes me up 3 or 4 times a night. This is coughing so hard I pee my pants, tears streaming down my face, until my head feels like it is going to implode - for an hour at a time. (And do I need to mention what coughing with a hernia is like?)
Nothing seems to be working on this one.... I've tried medicine, prescriptions (left from last round), home remedies, supplements, herbal teas, hot showers, sleeping in the recliner or propped up on pillows..... Generally, a combination of a few of the above would make it so I can sleep at night, but this round, they work just about long enough for me to actually get in to bed, and then it starts.
I guess the upside is that during the day, I don't feel too bad. Wiped from not sleeping, but I don't cough much.... That sets in about supper time. So there is an upside. Although just about anything can set me off - getting too hot, dust, flour or spices while cooking, strong scents, and air blowing on my face, like from a vent (which probably has dust in it). Not to mention the wood stove, which I would tell Paul to let go out, if it weren't 2 DEGREES outside (and that's at noon with bright sunshine!).
But I'm still taking a nap today.... if I can without coughing!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I can't believe how long it's held on. Sounds like it's developed into bronchitis. Just don't let it go into pneumonia. :(

The Shupaloops said...

Yeah, definitely sounds like bronchitis. Have you tried the comtrex they keep behind the pharmacy counter? It has that psuedophedrine in it that druggies use and that's why they don't put it on the shelves anymore. It does work really well though. May wanna give that a shot. Take that nap though, it is the best medicine!