Friday, March 16, 2012

This and That

So I'm sure this post will be all over the place.  Because that's how I've been lately.
I'd like to start off by talking about the weather.  It's still technically Winter, as the first day of Spring isn't until next Tuesday, yet it's been near or over 80 every day this week.  According to the frogs, Spring arrived two weeks ago.  I say "according to the frogs" because old farmer wisdom says that when the frogs are singing three nights in a row, Spring is here.  Everything is budded out; my spring flowers are in full bloom and they are GORGEOUS.
It's been so warm that we've slept with the windows open the last four nights.  Amazing.  However, with the warmth has arrived the humidity, and we're talking SERIOUS humidity.  (I was going to say 80% humidity, thinking I was exaggerating, but I looked at the National Weather Service site for our zip code, and it actually is 79%!)  When I woke up this morning the sheets were damp.  My compression stockings don't dry overnight when I wash them.
Speaking of compression stockings.... I've been bad this week.  I've gone two days without wearing them.  The first day, I was sick to my stomach, and spent most of it on the couch or in bed, so I didn't think it was a big deal to go without.  The second (Wednesday), it took until after noon for my stockings to dry from washing them at 10PM the night before (I told you it was humid!), and by then it was 80 and perfect outside, so I put some shorts on and worked outside.  The bad thing is.... My legs didn't hurt at all at the end of the day.  Now I'm tempted to go without more often, especially since it's so warm.  I told Paul, I will be a good girl until I have the baby, but then I will be rid of a lot of the extra weight and the extra fluids, so if I'm working outside, I will not be wearing them.  I'll get "analyzed" about 6 weeks after the baby gets here, then will have the actual procedure to get my fixed.  (I'll post a picture sometime so you can see how lovely they've gotten.)
Also on schedule to get fixed is my hernia.  Something has to be done.  It is twice as big as it was when I got pregnant, and if there is a lot of pressure on it, it makes me feel sick to my stomach.  Not that I really want surgery, but it can't be healthy to let this go any longer.  Plus - who needs a new van when you can spend all your money on hospital bills???  (Sigh.)
We've all been sick around here the last two weeks.  First Jacob got a stomach bug.  Then Paul got a cold.  Then Nathan got the cold.  Then I got a stomach bug (a different one than Paul, apparently, because me, my mom, and my sister all got sick at the same time on Saturday.... We think someone contaminated our Sonic drinks).  Then Jacob got a cold.  Then Paul got the second stomach bug.  With all 3 of them coughing and spewing germs all over the house, I knew it was inevitable.  Sure enough, Tuesday night I started coughing.  I'm pretty sure I've had a cold at the end of each pregnancy. At this point, the baby is big enough that it is actually up below below my ribs, making breathing hard enough as is.  There are two massive weights pressing down on my chest at all times.  (Yes, that IS what I'm talking about.)  Remember when I was talking about the humidity?  It makes it feel like I'm breathing water.  And I can't take anything - even most homeopathic remedies are advised against.  The doctor said one Sudafed a day (and I think Robitussin is okay, too).  So I save that for at night, so I can actually sleep (sort of).  Thankfully, it's not wiping me out as much as it could..... yet.  I'm only on day 3 though.
My due date is one month from tomorrow.  I've heard that little ones can tell, and both boys must sense it's getting close (as if the giant belly wasn't enough to clue them in).  They have been really snuggly and affectionate.  Jacob just melts my heart when he meets me at the door with a, "Mommy, you home!  Me missed you!" with that heart-breaker smile and a hug.  They are excited to meet the baby.
We got a new (to us) couch and chair.  One of Paul's co-workers told him he was trying to sell it several months ago, and Paul has been reminding me ever since.  It took me a while to convince myself.  I really liked our futon - it was long enough for me to stretch out on and it makes a great guest bed.  But it needed a new mattress - badly.  The least we'd shell out for a new mattress would have been $200.  And we have used the futon as a guest bed maybe a 4 times in the 8 years we've been married.  Then on top of that, our recliner broke.  The reclining mechanism gave out..... for the second time in a 2-year span.  It's a Lane, and has a lifetime warranty, but the labor to get it fixed is $50.  The new couch is a double recliner, and the chair has an ottoman, so it really was a good move up.  It's probably not exactly what I would have bought, but what I would have wanted to buy we couldn't afford.  I'll wait for "perfect" furniture for when we don't have kids or pets.  (As if I could ever make up my mind on what perfect furniture would be.)
I know I had more I wanted to write about, but I'm completely drawing a blank.  The reason for this post boils down to trying to avoid cleaning the kitchen.  Maybe I should quit avoiding it and get it done while the boys are napping (one of them, at least....the other one I'm sure will be down any minute trying to convince me that he's already slept).  If it got done this afternoon, I'd have a right to be lazy all night, right?

(And, as predicted, before I even finished proofing this, Nathan showed up at the top of the stairs - after he'd woken up Jacob.  Sigh.)

No comments: