Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Great Books

I just finished reading a series for at least the 3rd time (maybe 4th, even), and I can't get them out of my head.
I discovered the Lowlands of Scotland Series by Liz Curtis Higgs when I was working at the bookstore. There are three books (actually, there's a fourth, but it is a separate story - the child of the main character). It is loosely based on the Biblical story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah, but set in the 1700s in Scotland. The author has really done her research and you feel pulled in to the time period, with their customs and manner of speaking. I still find myself wanting to use terms like heidie (headstrong), braw (handsome), and tattie (potato). And those are just a few of the terms that swirl through my head when I'm half asleep (I think of the most random things when I'm having trouble sleeping).
Even though I read them almost non-stop (I sat in the living room most mornings and read while Nathan played or watched TV, not to mention before I took a nap or went to bed at night), it still took me over two weeks to get through them. They are very well written and not simply fluff (which is why it takes longer to read them). They are fiction, yet there is also a deeper message of unconditional love and sacrifice.
I highly recommend them. I'm sure you can find them at the local library, or my friends/relatives can borrow my copies.
The titles are Thorn in My Heart, Fair Is the Rose, and Whence Came a Prince. (The fourth is Grace in Thine Eyes - good, but not as addictive as the others, in my opinion.)

Yes, I realize this is a horrible excuse for a book report - I've come a long ways since the days of being able to write one of those. But I also don't want to give away the premise of the story and ruin it for you!

No comments: