Friday, July 11, 2008

I Am So Sneaky


So last night, Paul thought we were going on a date.
His parents were going to watch Nathan; his dad would come over on his way home from work. But rather than them have two vehicles here, Paul offered to go get his mom.
Perfect.
Because I was planning a surprise birthday party. And I needed an excuse to get him out of the house.
And it was a surprise. He didn't have a clue.
Now, he says he suspected something. But he's a guy and he's obligated to not act surprised.
The only problem I had was getting him out the door. People were supposed to be here at 6, but he didn't leave until 10 'til, instead of at 5:30 like he was supposed to. But you can't really nag, "You need to go get your mom NOW. RIGHT NOW." Because then he'd wonder what the big deal was. But because he weas late leaving, he met some of the guests on the road. And then when he came home, he could see one of the cars parked behind the shed from the road. Then it dawned on him. Then all the clues made sense: the phone calls, the shuffling of shopping bags, the hustling to leave.....
And I couldn't clean the house, either. Because then he'd be suspicious. I never go crazy about cleaning unless people are coming over. That's my excuse, anyways.

Not the face of someone who's not surprised.


But it was a great success. And all of the food is gone, which is always wonderful. That way I don't feel obligated to eat it all in a rapid manner. (The faster you eat it, the less days to feel guilty.) There are 3 pieces of my completely made from scratch cake left, though.
So breakfast is calling.

No comments: