For several months, I've been contemplating the purchase of a bread box. I trolled Amazon for a style that would fit two loaves of bread. (We have to buy loaves two by two, as one round of PB&J's will wipe out a half a loaf.) I found one that kind of sounded like it would fit the bill, and was in my price range ($20), but wasn't convinced enough to order it right away.
After buying bread yet again, and having the mess of new loaves, a partial leftover loaf, plus various homemade items laying in the "bread area" (invariably, one of the children lays something heavy on the loaves of bread, or decides to climb on the counter and puts a knee into it.), I decided.... It was time.
Time to build one.
Call in the talent. (I could do a lot of these things myself, it's just faster to let him. ;) )
I gave Paul the picture I printed off. He made some notes and went to work. And this is how it turned out:
|Hand-punched tin (made out of salvaged tin from our old return-air vent).|
I did a punched-tin project once in high school and figured I'd try it again. I googled patterns, printed it out, and taped it on. This one was supposed to be the practice run, but I was quite happy with how it turned out! It took maybe 2-3 hours after all the mommy interruptions.
Total Cost: $6
Wood: scraps laying around
Nails: on hand
Stain: on hand
Knob: $1 (for 2-pack)
Much better than the $100 price tag for the one on Amazon. And we [could have] got it done faster than waiting for shipping.