Monday, August 17, 2009

Nathan's Favorite Movies

At this point at least:
Milo and Otis
Aristocats
Gulliver's Travels
We did nothing to influence his choices - trust me, he's got a whole array of Baby Einstein, Veggie Tales, and other movies. But these are the ones he consistently asks for and will actually sit and watch the majority of the movie.
The reason I defend that we didn't influence the choices was that these all were favorites of Paul or I when we were growing up. I guess it goes to show that they don't make movies like they used to.
I haven't really let him watch many newer animated movies. Even though they're marketed towards Nathan's age, I think a lot of the new ones are just a bit too intense for any kids under 5. I think that they make cartoons hoping to draw a wider age group than is typically thought of as "cartoon watchers." I've tried to be vigilant about previewing movies before I let him watch it. I don't want a scary scene to be cause for nightmares later. And I also try to explain bad attitudes - with a "They weren't being very nice, were they?" But it's hard when the boys I babysit bring a movie to watch that they love. (They brought Bolt a few months ago, and I thought the beginning chase scene was scary!) But I guess the upside of this is that with three of them in the room, they distract each other and there's not actually a lot of focused movie watching going on.
I try not to use the television as a babysitter, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get things done. We probably watch too much tv and movies, but I can't steep myself in guilt.
Anyhow. I was amused when I realized that the classics never go out of style.

No comments: