Monday, February 16, 2009

Sufferin' Succotash!

Last Friday while I was on a road trip to Bonner Springs with my dad, the subject of food came up. (Definintely an Eichenberger thing.) I was telling him Nathan's aversion to vegetables, and Dad mentioned "Dr. Phil's Omelet."
So yesterday when I was over at their house, I got out Dr. Phil's Cookbook (technically, it's "Ultimate Weight Solution" cookbook.... Just so I don't get in trouble), and copied the recipe for his "Succotash Omelet" down.
Being as I also commandeered two dozen eggs while I was out there, I decided to give it a try this morning. Nathan likes scrambled eggs, so I thought I might be able to sneak some veggies in on him while he ate them.
Well, Nathan wouldn't touch it. He's so high-maintenance when it comes to food! He probably glimpsed the green of the vegetables. Just like his father. (Actually, Paul's not that bad anymore.)
So I ate Nathan's share. Which means I ate an entire four-egg omelet on my own.
I'm a cow.
But let me tell you, it's amazing. Obviously.
Being as eggs are still pretty cheap, you could make this for your entire family for probably $2-3. (One recipe should be two adult servings.)
Here you go:
  • small onion
  • red pepper (green are actually cheaper, and I didn't have either on hand, so I skipped this one)
  • 1 c. frozen mixed veggies (the kind with carrots, corn, beans, etc - this is the "succotash")
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp cheese
Stir fry your onion and pepper. When tender, throw in the spices and frozen veggies and cook until heated through. Transfer all this to a bowl, then omelet-ify your eggs (you can either do it, or you can't.... mine were closer to scrambled eggs than omelet, but it only affected the look). Sprinkle cheese on the top, pour the veggies on and fold the omelet over on itself.

It packs a bit of heat, so I'd maybe skip on one of the peppers if you're sensitive to that type of stuff. And I know..... Mixed veggies with eggs sounds totally gross, but the spices make it so you don't even think about the fact. It just tastes right.
Not that I'll fix it every day (takes more time than plain ol' scrambled eggs), but I figure it's a great way to start off your day with protien and vegetables if you do have the time. Typically, my day starts with carbs and sugar (they go best with coffee), but I'm trying to get better at that.

2 comments:

Teach said...

Nice use of the "commandeered." Love it. Yeah, you should lay off the coffee.

Anonymous said...

I tried these last night, thanks for the tip! I didn't have any frozen vegetables or cayenne pepper, but I did have red and green pepper and I threw in some mushrooms. They were great!